Tuesday 10 March 2015

Task 2:D

What in your daily practice gets you really enthusiastic to find out more about? Who do you admire who also works with what makes you enthusiastic?

Music. Music motivates me in a way that nothing else can. I think it is incredible how an arrangement of notes can move you in such a way, granted it is often the words that accompany the music as well but words are not always necessary. Music can reduce you to tears, make you feel happy, excited, driven, relaxed and so much more. Music makes me want to move my body in different ways. If I hear a piece of music I like, I am instantly thinking about different moves in my head because I love to choreograph. I would love to have my own show with all my favourite music in to choreograph different routines to. I would probably have to have about 20 shows though because I have a wide range of music that I just love. I love classical, old music hall stuff, Frank Sinatra, Queen, Dire Straits, The Beatles, any current up to date music and so much more. I just love it all. Everyone loves music, have you ver met anyone who doesn't? it is around us all the time, in the car, out for dinner, in Asda. Life would be so dull without music and dancing. I some times think to myself, dancing is funny thing to do really. We all go to a disco and congregate on a dance floor and move our body to the music. Supposing aliens came down from space and saw us all doing this strange behaviour, what would they think? I know that is is a very strange thing to think but this is how my mind sometimes works. Who was the first person to ever get up and dance, I wonder if they got laughed at? No other animal seems to appreciate music and dance like we do. I'm not strange I promise, occasionally I just have strange thoughts. lol, it is interesting though I think.
I admire my dancing friends, they all have special qualities and strengths in which I have learnt from through the years. I try to adopt what aspects of their practice I like and apply it to my own.



What gets you angry or makes you sad? Who do you admire who shares your feelings or has found away to work around the sadness or anger?

What makes me sad is the fact that I feel the appreciation of dance is being lost slightly. I know that dance is still quite prominent on the television with Strictly Come Dancing and Britain's Got Talent and such like but I just don't feel that it is the same as it used to be. I feel I was born in the wrong era sometimes. My mum used to go to dances when she was young, that doesn't happen anymore unless it has just manifested into a rave over the years which is not my cup of tea at all.
There were always musical films being made and that doesn't happen so much now which I find a shame because I love them. People don't dress up to go to the theatre anymore and they don't seem to know how to behave either. I went to see Dirty Dancing in Newcastle about a year ago and I was appalled by the audiences behaviour, they completely ruined it for me. They were raucous Heathens in my opinion. Not all of them granted but a fairly good percentage had no idea how to behave. Is this the future for theatre?
When my mum was young there were the Tiller Girls, Pans People along with great entertainment such as Sunday night at the Palladium. We don't have anything like that now or is it just outdated?My friend used to choreograph a little show for a club in the town where I live, it was called 'The Show Bar' I thought it was a great idea but the young people who enjoyed the club where not interested in the show at all so it got cut. I wonder what the future holds?
Again my friends feel the same as I do and I don't think there is a way to work around this frustration, it seems to be the way it is and we have to get on with it. The world is ever changing and evolving and this is no different, I just don't like the way it seems to be heading. I hope I am wrong.




What do you love about what you do? Who do you admire who also seems to love this or is an example of what you love?

I love the fact that dancing makes me happy and even better it makes other people happy too. To entertain someone is the best feeling ever, the buzz of being on stage is phenomenal. I admire so many dancers whether they be famous or my friends. I admire Audrey Hepburn, she was beautiful, a dancer, great actress and just had an air of grace about her, she was also very classy which I like. Darcey Bussell I admire for she is an amazing dancer. I admire so many for different reasons.

What do you feel you don’t understand? Who do you admire who does seem to understand it or who has found a way of making not understanding it interesting or beautiful, or has asked the same questions as you?

My career path, I feel a little lost. I don't want to stop performing because I love it however I have to be realistic. Unfortunately a dancers life span is so short compared to other careers so we have to see what we can branch into when the time comes. Teaching is an obvious one but not my 1st choice, I would love to be a choreographer or maybe move into acting. My concern is, it is hard enough to get a dancing job as there is so much competition let alone a choreography post. There is only one choreographer to I don't know how many dancers. Then the acting route, another difficult industry to break into, more competition and auditions, have I had enough of that scene? What else is out there for a retired dancer?
A lot of my friends have the same questions as me and are in a similar position or will be at some point in the near future. One friend in particular has really helped me and I thank her for that, she has pointed me in the right direction hence why I am here studying the BAPP.



How do you decide the appropriate ethical response in a given situation? To what extent are disciplinary responses different to that you might expect more generally in society? 

I think deciding on an ethical response is pretty much common sense. We should all know how to behave and what is appropriate and what is not. It is how well we are brought up and trained I believe. If I am ever unsure I always ask someone who I trust for advice.
I think in the dance world ethics are rather different to the general work place. I find it much more strict and old fashioned.

Emerging lines of enquiry

-How does music stimulate the mind in such a way to make us feel emotion?
-History vs the future of dance.
-What makes a good dancer?
-What do retired dancers do? how does retiring so young affect us psychologically?
-How different are the ethics of the studio to a 'normal' job?

No comments:

Post a Comment