Friday 6 March 2015

2:B journal writing experience

So I have tried the different methods of Journal writing and I have decided which work for me and which don't. I wouldn't completely rule out the methods that didn't work for me this time and if I felt in the future that a certain event required a graph for example in order for me to capture my experience effectively I would use it. It has definitely opened my mind to other ways of recording my experiences as before in previous journals that I have written I focus mainly on description, Evaluation and stream of consciousness. I never would have thought to do a graph or from another view. So here is how I found each one.

Description-
I found this quite easy as it is a method that I am familiar with. I particularly like it when looking back, it really captures the feel of they day and locks in all the little details which can easily be lost in other methods. This is definitely one of my favourites and a shall be continuing to use it.

Initial Reflection-
This is another method I like and use occasionally already. I tend to use it If something has happened and I want to get the details logged straight away so I don't forget anything. I think it is a great way because the event is so fresh in the mind how ever it is not always possible to do this because we all live such busy lives. I think this method would work best for nurses and teachers maybe after each lesson or patient just because I think they could have a tendency to merge by the end of the day especially when tired. I will be carrying on with this method sometimes.

List-
This didn't really work for me. I think it is good if you are in a rush and to use in conjunction with 'initial reflection' and then write up properly later with more description. I would definitely consider using it again in the future for that reason but to use that and that alone, my list was huge.

Evaluation-
I wan't too sure about this, I think a journal is an evaluation of your day anyway? that is what I do in my diaries already, evaluate your day and it's events.

Graph/chart-
I didn't like this either. It wasn't descriptive enough for me, I like a story. I really struggled with this, I didn't know what exactly to put in my graph, I managed, but to look back on, it just doesn't do the day justice and relay all the information that I like to record. It also took more time to create a graph than to just write it down.

What if-
Not something I am used to using in my journal. I did it but I just felt it was more fantasy than real, what if that happened? yes but it didn't, this happened. It is not real. I suppose it is good for maybe looking at different ways to do things, maybe I miss interpreted this one slightly. I shall try it again. 

Another View-
I did this as if I was my iPad. I found it very strange and not very helpful. I had fun doing it though. Creating a character for my iPad was enjoyable and interesting. I can't say it helped me much in my reflective practice. I won't be using this technique again, ha well I don't think I will anyway.

poem-
I do like to write poetry not that I do it often because I don't. I found this very hard, it took me forever because I like words to rhyme which I know isn't essential in poetry but I just like it. My poetry trends to take a humorous path rather than serious too. This wasn't a true representation of my day because I had to add words in for rhyming purposes that had nothing to do with my day. It was far too time consuming. I like to just scribble down facts and thoughts quickly.

Stream of consciousness-
I often use this method,  I just write exactly what I am thinking at that time. I find it really interesting to look back on too, especially if your mood is less than favourable shall we say it can be quite funny but it also opens the gate right back into your mind set at that time. I love this style. It works for me.
 

5 comments:

  1. Hi Danielle,

    I have just made a start on my Journal - little bit out of my comfort zone but after reading this its making it easier for me to get to grips with so thank you!

    Steph

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Steph

      Thank you very much for your comment. I found the task a little difficult at first even though I have kept a journal for a few years now. I think it was the unfamiliarity with some of the styles which put me off. I am a creature of habit, I like what I know, so this is really good for me, it has dragged me right out of my comfort zone into the deep end, it is ok though, I'm treading water. Ha. It is not so bad once you start experimenting. I am really glad my blog helped you a little. That makes me very happy.

      I hope it is all going well for you so far.

      Danni x

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey,

    Did you find that the techniques gave more structure to your writing? Did you find that the techniques influenced what you wrote about, or do you think would still have written about the same events/feelings regardless of which technique you were using?

    I found that I would have an idea throughout the day of what I would probably write about and it changed depending on which technique I used. It sometimes brought out issues I didn't realise I had, and at other times made me worry I was missing out on other important points.

    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Lisa,

      I think some of the techniques definitely influenced what I wrote about. Like the poem for instance, I feel like I only focussed on one aspect of the day and I like to incorporate everything I have done but to do that with a poem would have taken me a week. I still like the descriptive way, however I have been really busy this last week so have adopted the list more often than not, which I said I hated, lol. It has been really effective though when time is short. I would rather not use this method because I feel details get lost and I like details when looking back.
      I think it is really interesting that some brought out hidden issues for you, I haven't experienced that yet I don't think. I shall look out for that. Thank you for you comment Lisa, hope all is going well with you.

      Danni x

      Delete