Friday 6 March 2015

CALLING ALL DANCERS- Do you always start a class/ combination on theright side?

I came across this particular discussion and I found it rather interesting so thought I would share it with you. Maybe it would be helpful with some of your enquiries.I have copied the link below.

It brings to our attention that generally we always begin a class or combination on the right side. Now from my own experience during my training I can say that this was mostly true. Occasionally we would have a teacher who would mix it up and start on the left which felt really weird and sent me into a tiz of unfamiliarity, which I hate. I feel I have continued this behaviour into my professional practice and beyond. I definitely favour my right side, it is stronger, more flexible and just better than my left. My left side is such hard work and it brings me to this question, what if I had started on the left equally to the right? would my left side be more like my right? has this practice really affected my left side's progress?   I think maybe it has. Theoretically it shouldn't because I would execute the exercise on the right side and then repeat on the left, So really my left should be just as strong and flexible as the right. But it isn't, my left is significantly worse than my right. If I had to kick my left leg in a show because that was the choreography I didn't like it, I like to kick my right. My right leg flies up with no effort whatsoever, my left is a real effort. It is not just with strength and flexibility but sometimes the left feels a little alien to me, I am comfortable on the right, I like the right, Damn you left side, pull your weight! What are your thoughts on his discussion?

http://thehealthydancer.blogspot.com/2015/01/choosing-which-side-to-start-ondoes-it.html

People are talking about it on linked in too.

2 comments:

  1. Danni this is so true. I recently tried to teach a class all their exercises on the left first and they were begging me to go back to their right side. They said it didn't feel natural. I tried explaining that the reason the left side feels strange is because they never 'work' that side, they avoid. I will be making sure they work extra hard on the left in future to strengthen the weaker side rather than ignore the fact they all one to be one sided dancers :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, say no to the one sided dancer! It can be very restricting lol. It is true though, I love my right side and have a love hate relationship with my left! Keep working that left side! X

      Delete