Saturday 21 November 2015

5:B Actual Codes of conduct, Regulations and Ethics in my work place.

So for this task I started by studying my employment agreement, for the first time ever, I am extremely lax when it comes to things like this I am too trusting and just sign it usually. I have come unstuck once before doing that with pay, luckily they sorted it for me. I think we are all a culprit of this at times. How many times have you just accepted the new terms and conditions of iTunes? Have you ever actually read it? I know I haven't, I could have sold my soul to Apple and I would have no idea. Oops, anyway, back on track, my seafarers agreement. What are the main points within this document? 



Personal details
Employer
Job details
Pay and working hours
Contract terms
Probation terms
Notice period
Terms and conditions of employment
Policies and procedures
Pay
Travel
Pension
Medical and sickness
Personal injury and death in service
Facilities & personal effects
Uniforms
Training/certificates of competency
Health and safety
Standards and performance
Shipboard accounts
Severance
Trade union membership
Arbitration, venue and resolution of claims, controversies or disputes
Governing law
Severability

Now these are the main categories, it does go into much more depth such as relationships onboard, zero tolerance to drugs ad so on. Within this document many more rules, regulations and codes of conduct are mentioned such as 'Fleet Regulations/standing orders' , 'health and safety', 'code of business conduct and ethics'. As soon as we get onboard we are given inductions so we understand all the rules and regulations and we have to sign to say that we have understood. We have to do relevant training so that we are compliant with emergency duties, environmental legislation and other compulsory regulations such as COSHH, safeguarding, data protection and as soon as we have completed the training we sign so if we don't comply the blame is off the company and on us, they trained us and we signed to say we fully understood.

There are so many rules and regulations on the ship from General things such as, no jeans on deck, must be in rig of the day in the mess ( you can't go and have your dinner in your own clothes, you have to be in rig of the day or uniform) armpits must be covered in the buffet area,  skirts must be one hand above the knee, this is all in the grooming regulations. So from that to more serious offences, you must not drink more than the legal uk drink drive limit at any time, zero tolerance to drugs (you will be handed over to the local authorities so god help you if you are in Thailand or somewhere where the drug laws are the death penalty), sexual harassment is not tolerated (you will be dismissed), if you are sick you must call 999 and remain in your cabin, norovirus Is very contagious especially on a ship, it can lead to port authority's not letting the ship dock if there is a major outbreak. If you don't report it, it is a disciplinary offence.  These are just a few of the rules and regs we have to comply with.

We also have rules such as being careful what we talk to passengers about, we can't talk about company issues which is pretty understandable, we can't say anything negative against the company, also understandable and we should avoid topics such as politics, religion and so on. Something else we have to be extremely careful with is social media. There is a team now who specifically keep an eye on social media so you do have to be so carful otherwise you can get yourself in trouble without even trying. Anything that puts the company in bad light is not good for you or the company. We should help keep the company reputation up there with the best because without them we have no job. A good quote from the loyalty girls onboard to our passengers "without you there would be no us". 


So these are very ship based rather than dance based but I work on a ship so that is what we have to adhere to. However we are generally work for an external company too who will provide the cruise company with the shows and the ethics within that setting can be somewhat different. I am on a fixed term contract so I am not guaranteed more work and I am aware that loyalty can be a problem in some companies, even when a good job has been done, fresh meat sometimes more desired than loyal, reliable employees and because the contract is for only 6 months there no commitment there from the company to the dancer,  so security for a dancer is non existent.

I think being on a ship and in the dance world is very strict and sometimes ethics can become somewhat of a grey area. You don't have an awful lot of say, especially in dance. In dance we have rights obviously but it is feared to go against what is being asked even if you don't agree with it. If you do, you will then be deemed to have an "attitude" and if you have one of those, more than likely you won't be re-employed which most dancers fear. I get the impression that much like children 'dancers should be seen an not heard' . I have known it where dancers have expressed an opinion and let's just say it didn't go down in their favour. I do feel we are sometimes treated like children, but we are so easily replaced, if you want the job you deal with it. It is not ethical but it's the way it is. I do think it is slowly improving.


On a ship I have known of disciplinary action being taken against  a crew member for going against what the people in charge expected. They did what they thought to be ethically correct. I and many others were in agreement with the crew member and it took guts for the crew member to stand up and do what they thought to be right. I think the crew member got a warning. I won't go into any more detail because if I do I fear I will be treading on thin ice. I came across something interesting which relates to this it is called the 'milgram experiment on obedience'. Derren Brown also recreated it not so long ago, it is very interesting. See the link below.

This video explains the Milgram experiment.

This video is Derren Brown's recreation of the Milgram experiment.

This is a little footage from the original experiment.




Back in the day I am told that ships were faced with bribery for alcohol and cigarettes from port authorities in the likes of Egypt and places like that. Now there are rules a regs to say they will not surrender to bribery, some ports still try it but the company are strict on this and it is not tolerated.

I have been at sea for a while so I am pretty much aware of the rules and regulations in which affect me. It can be very overwhelming to newcomers because there is a lot to get to grips with. New rules and regs are always coming out though so you do have to remain aware of changes as it is our responsibility to know the rules, understand and adhere to them as it states in the 'Seafarers Employment agreement' otherwise disciplinary action can be taken. 

No comments:

Post a Comment