Friday 20 November 2015

5:A my thoughts on Ethics and Regulations in my work place.



Ethics

noun
1.
(used with a singular or plural verb) a system of moral principles:
the ethics of a culture.
2.
(used with a plural verb) the rules of conduct recognised in respect to a particular class of human actions or a particular group, culture,etc.:
medical ethics; Christian ethics.
3.
(used with a plural verb) moral principles, as of an individual:
His ethics forbade betrayal of a confidence.
4.
(used with a singular verb) that branch of philosophy dealing with values relating to human conduct, with respect to the rightness and wrongness of certain actions and to the goodness and badness of the motives and ends of such actions.

Aaaaggggghhhhh, ethics are driving me mad, what is an ethic and what is not? Ethics are huge. I found this video online which I found quite helpful.


I'm finding 'Ethics' quite difficult because I think it is such an extensive subject and I am struggling to locate the boundaries between ethics and other categories. My understanding of ethics- "it is a set of rules which are more like morals, they are set to help people make the right decisions and behave in the correct way" almost like the Ten Commandments however ethics are not necessarily written down, it's almost like ' the unwritten rules' for example, you know you shouldn't steal your friend's boyfriend, now that isn't a rule as such, but you know you shouldn't do it, it is an unwritten rule. Intuition indicates that it is the wrong thing to do and generally it is not something you would have to think twice about to make an "ethical judgement" because it  comes naturally because it should be the way we have been brought up. That isn't the best example but I think it gets my point across. 

The example used in the video above with the goldfish in the blender "in the name of art" is completely unethical, I don't care if it is art, in my opinion it is not art, it is cruelty, but unfortunately like it mentions in the video above "ethics are open to interpretation".  This I think is ethically wrong, however, someone else may have reasoning to see otherwise. The video States that according to Aristotle "we are virtuists when we use reason excellently".


So without referring to any documents or discussions I have done a spider diagram to gather my thoughts on ethics and regulations within my work place. I find personal and professional ethics have a very fine line,it is sometimes difficult to decipher what is personal and what is just being a professional. 
I know a lot can affect people's personal ethics due to background, culture, religion and possibly gender but that I would say is more predominant in a social setting rather than a work setting these days. I work on a ship so work and social are very close. We have lots of nationalities, cultures and religions onboard so you do have to be mindful of that. 
We have to be particularly mindful when we are travelling around the world, for example, in Dubai we have to respect their culture and religion by wearing the appropriate attire. No matter how hot it is and how much we want to wear a vest and shorts we can't because it is disrespectful to the people of Dubai, we have to cover up and listening to my ethical intuition I know the right thing is to respect those people and their beliefs.  That is off the ship, whilst on the ship there are also lots of rules and regulations to adhere to which I have put into my spider diagram below.

My ethics and regulations in the work place.


I think ethics and regulations are imperative in order to run a successful organisation and more importantly to be a good human being. If these ethics and regulations were not in place there would be endless issues within the world. Ethics are rules that are there to help protect everyone, employers, employees, students and customers.
Everyone's interpretation of ethics will be different but generally I think most people read from the same page on most things. We need to be good honest people and do the right thing.

I sometimes think in the dance industry  there are a lot of unethical things that take place, not so much in my company. Generally for a dance job you do have to look a certain way, be a certain size/weight, height, is that ethical? I don't think so, if you can do the job well why shouldn't you be employed? They need people who are aesthetically pleasing. Sometimes they look for a specific race? Is that ethical? Sometimes girls get jobs not nessaccarliy because of their talents in dancing. I do think the dance world is getting better on things like this, but it does have a long way to go. On some ships people get paid different salaries for doing the same job dependant on their nationality and where they live, surely that isn't ethical? 

I hope I haven't gotten lost in the world of ethics, the topic is huge.



No comments:

Post a Comment