Friday 25 March 2016

Super's Life Career Rainbow

I have been doing lots of reading with regards to career transition/development in dancers and athletes and I came across Donald E Super,  a career theorist who came up with this 'life career rainbow'. 


Below is another version that I like purely because it is colouful. 




Now I agree that it is a great model for the average person with a traditional career progression, however it is not very fitting for a dancers performance life because the maintenance side of things is not attainable due to a number of factors and if they don't get you, age will eventually. Let's face it I will not be able to kick my legs to my head at 60 and even if I can, a 60year old dancer in a sequinned leotard is probably not going to get too much work, (hmmmmm maybe that is a business opportunity), so I guess it is possible, but highly unlikely.

I have also been thinking about Martha Graham's Quote "a dancer dies twice" to which I agree. However whilst I was thinking I realised, if that is true, this also means a dancer must live twice! Every cloud has a silver lining! So, dancers get to have a go at a second career, the first one we conquered, now what next? The world is our oyster. This then lead me to realise actually with some adaption Super's rainbow could work, dancers just have a double rainbow,  so after a bit of thought and doodles I came up with this. (I hope Super doesn't mind). 

So here is Super' model with an Austen twist! See "a dancer lives twice".



What do you think Bappers? 

Danni .X.



7 comments:

  1. Hi Danni,

    I find this post fascinating. I think that you're adaptation to D.Super's rainbow is a great addition. I absolutely second your opinion that once our careers as performers (that has dominated our lives and investments) comes to and end, we would no doubt find that we would face building a new career from the beginning once again and master another trade. Transitioning from a professional dancer to another professions would push me into a new exploratory and establishment stage of my life.

    Are there any other writers/theorists that draw to your attention during the inquiry process?

    Granger x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya Granger,

    Thank you for your comment. It is so true that transitioning from being a professional dancer certainly pushes us to explore and establish the next step in our career development. I am just trying to look on it as a positive now rather than a negative. I loved dancing, that was my dream job and where my passion lies. I didn't want to do anything other than perform that's why I went into it, but unfortunately it is the dancers life cycle and something we have to accept and overcome and it is exciting after all, that we can explore and establish new things in our careers.

    I have come across a few theorists that surround this topic and I'm just in the process of looking into their ideas and models, I am currently looking at Schlossberg, Roncaglia and Taylor and Olgivie, the latter two based their theories on athletes however I think dancers and Athletes are quiet similar within the fact of having a relatively short performance life.
    I hope your inquiry is going well and I really look forward to reading your posts.

    Danni .X.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Danni,

    Its great to see you posting again! How have you been getting on with Module 3 so far?

    I agree, dancers have a very different Career Rainbow, especially if they have an injury or are out of work. I also was thinking about the 'student' stage. Do you think as a dancer you stay in the 'student' stage for longer because there is so much to learn and you are always developing, especially when you consider completing the BAPP course along side your job. I have found that the BAPP course process has made me consider my practices much more carefully, effectively bringing me back into the student stage.

    Hope you're ok.

    Jess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Jess,

      Aww it feels good to be back posting. Module 3 is going slowly, ha ha, I have a moment of clarity and then it disappears. How about you?
      Yes I do feel that dancers dip in and out of the student stage, like us at the moment with the BAPP and some of us will go on to the PGCE that will mean the 'student stage' is even longer. I think it differs with each individual. It is all very interesting.
      hope you are doing ok.
      Danni x

      Delete
    2. Hi Danni,

      I think the process of Module 3 is complex. Since carrying out my observations and interviews I have found the process has become even more complex (if that's possible!) The data has not shown what I expected it would show, but this has been a fascinating process. Where are you at in your inquiry stage? It must be difficult after being away for so long! Hope you're ok.

      Thanks again,
      Jess.

      Delete
  4. Hi Danni,

    I am a psychologist, who have searched Super rainbows on internet to a presentation, and I found your especial rainbow. I like it! It's amazing! I wish You joy and success in your second life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Anka, thank you very much, I feel very flattered by your comment! ��. Good luck with your presentation! X

    ReplyDelete